CodePath.org Intro to Software Engineering Course
Summer 2023 Edition
About the course
This 10-week virtual course which introduces software engineering and computer science concepts to students with little to no programming experience. It is NOT a Technical Interview Prep course. The course includes:
- Lectures taught by professional engineers in Python
- Interactive breakout room sessions with peers
- Introductions to beginner coding topics including conditionals, loops, big O notation, dictionaries, strings, and arrays
- Industry advice and support for students just beginning their coding journey
- Access to CodePath’s Career Center
Who should apply?
You Should Take This Course If…
- You are interested in computer science but need a place to start your training that will help you decide if this is the right major to pursue
- You could use the confidence boost, hands-on practice, and support to get a sense of what it would be like to work in the coveted field of software engineering
- You can commit to attending two class sessions per week during the summer session and doing about 2-4 hours of work outside class time each week
CodePath’s mission is reprogramming higher education to create the most diverse generation of engineers, CTOs, and founders. This includes (but is not limited to) individuals who self-identify as Black/African American, Latino/a/Hispanic, Indigenous, Pacific Islander, women/women-identifying, and students who come from low-income backgrounds or are first-generation college students. Our rolling admissions process gives priority to students from these populations, and our course is open to all college students at no-cost. We encourage you to apply.
What experience levels is this for?
- No programming experience is required, but some familiarity can be helpful–complete beginners are welcome
- Are interested in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related subject
- Can commit to attending synchronous classes for 2 hours Tue and Thurs for 10 weeks; no exceptions will be made
- Will be able to complete 2-4 hours of work outside class time each week
Other Important Details
- Admission closes on Sunday, May 14, 2023
- Classes begin on the week of June 6, 2023
- Students must attend two 2-hour mandatory sessions per week
- All students must complete a weekly HackerRank assessment
- Up to 600 college students will be selected from the applications to participate
- Attendance is mandatory regardless of your current time zone.
- Intro to Software Engineering class times (2x/week):
- Section 1: Tue and Thur 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM PT
- Section 2: Tue and Thur 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM PT
You can view our FERPA compliance policy here