About the CodePath Cybersecurity Course
The Cybersecurity course focuses on teaching students the fundamentals of web application security with the aim of providing a foundational level of knowledge matched with offensive and defensive skills developed through hands-on experience. Students will learn the basics of cybersecurity and common vulnerabilities and attacks, receive hands-on practice in both exploitation techniques and strategies for protecting and hardening applications. Developed in partnership with Facebook, the course introduces a wide range of topics via a combination of sessions, videos, projects, and labs, giving students both a thorough grounding in the details of cybersecurity and an introduction to the broader landscape of information security.
The application is a 2-step process:
1. Fill out a 10-15 minute questionnaire about your background and career aspirations.
2. Applicants will then need to complete pre-work. The pre-work assignment is meant to give you a preview of our course and help you set-up your environment prior to the start of class. It will also help us determine your ability to complete the assignments during our course.
Applicants will need to complete the questionnaire and pre-work in order to be considered for admission.
- Activities and Assignments: Weekly labs and capture the flags (CTF)
- Partner universities: You can view the finalized schedule here.
- 10-week class option: starts February 19th & meets once weekly on Saturday at 10am-12pm PT for 10 weeks
- Partner universities: Students meet in live in-person or remote classroom sessions depending on the class they are a part of. Check here.
- 10-week class option: Students meet once a week in live remote classroom sessions.
- Time Commitment: 5-10+ hours per week in addition to in-class time
- Attendance: Students are expected to attend all in-person (on-campus or virtual) weekly classes and labs
- Admissions requirements:
- Must be currently enrolled in a US college or university
- Have sufficient access to a computer in order to complete coursework
- Have introductory knowledge of web applications, web development, and middleware such as web servers and databases
- Must be pursuing a course of study related to computer science that includes hands-on programming/scripting experience and application development and design
- Completion of pre-work task
- You must have access to a system with the ability to download software.
- Operating System:
- macOS - High Sierra (10.13.x) or later
- Windows - 8.1 or later
- RAM: 4 GB RAM is required for the best experience.
- For Windows: open Settings > System > About, the RAM information should be on the bottom of the page.
- For Mac: click on the Apple logo at the top left-hand corner, then click "About this Mac."
- Hard Drive Free Space: 40 GB of FREE space on the hard drive is critical as you will be working with Virtual Machines.
- Recommended Software: Install FireFox and the Burp Suite Community Edition.
- Add FoxyProxy extension for convenience.
You can view our FERPA compliance policy here.