About the CodePath Cybersecurity Course
The Cybersecurity course focuses on teaching students the fundamentals of web application security with the aim of providing a foundational level of knowledge matched with offensive and defensive skills developed through hands-on experience. Students will learn the basics of cybersecurity and common vulnerabilities and attacks, receive hands-on practice in both exploitation techniques and strategies for protecting and hardening applications. Developed in partnership with Facebook, the course introduces a wide range of topics via a combination of sessions, videos, projects, and labs, giving students both a thorough grounding in the details of cybersecurity and an introduction to the broader landscape of information security.
Note: This course meets virtually or in-person at your school's campus and will require weekly projects and lab submissions.
- Activities and Assignments: Weekly labs and capture the flags (CTF)
- Time Commitment: 5-10+ hours per week in addition to in-class time
- Attendance: Students are expected to attend all sessions, weekly classes and labs
- Admissions requirements:
- Must be currently enrolled in a US college or university
- Have sufficient access to a computer in order to complete coursework
- Have introductory knowledge of web applications, web development, and middleware such as web servers and databases
- Must be pursuing a course of study related to computer science that includes hands-on programming/scripting experience and application development and design
- You must have access to a system with the ability to download software.
- Operating System:
- macOS - High Sierra (10.13.x) or later
- Windows - 8.1 or later
- RAM: 4 GB RAM is required for the best experience.
- For Windows: open Settings > System > About, the RAM information should be on the bottom of the page.
- For Mac: click on the Apple logo at the top left-hand corner, then click "About this Mac."
- Hard Drive Free Space: 40 GB of FREE space on the hard drive is critical as you will be working with Virtual Machines.
- Recommended Software: Install FireFox and the Burp Suite Community Edition.
- Add FoxyProxy extension for convenience.
You can view our FERPA compliance policy here.